MetLife is perhaps best known for providing life insurance, but auto insurance is also available, and we found with our proprietary SimpleScore that this insurance carrier has a lot to offer.
With a 4 out of 5 in claims satisfaction, and a 5 out of 5 with coverage options, MetLife is more than competitive. However, it doesn’t rank well with accessibility, scoring only a 3 out of 5.
In this MetLife car insurance review, we’ll walk through the insurance provider’s strengths and weaknesses, how it compares to its competitors and how it fares in our SimpleScore model.
When looking at MetLife’s features, we study how it scores on our SimpleScore model in discounts, coverage options, customer satisfaction, accessibility and support. We also look at MeLife auto insurance reviews and its competitors through the lens of leading reviewers such as J.D. Power and Consumer Reports.
MetLife car insurance at a glance
|In business||Since 1868|
|Best for||New car owners|
|Not for||People who place a high value on customer service|
|Standout features||Deductible savings benefit
New car replacement
Custom sound system coverage
No deductible for glass repairs
Special car parts replacement
|Available bundles||Home, auto, life and health|
What we like about MetLife auto insurance
Beyond basic auto insurance
MetLife offers unique extras most other auto insurance companies don’t have. Gap coverage and custom sound systems are allowed under its policies. MetLife also offers to reimburse legal fees if you are sued after an accident.
Rideshare drivers get coverage
Uber and Lyft drivers are covered while working. Many people make extra money or their main living offering rideshares. MetLife is one of the only auto insurance companies to offer rideshare insurance.
Things to consider
MetLife encourages high credit score
MetLife auto insurance consistently offers the best prices to the customers with the highest credit scores and brand new cars. Only when a customer comes has a 600 credit score range or higher does MetLife come close to auto insurance titan Geico for a reasonable premium.
MetLife Auto Insurance vs. the competition
[ Read: Best Car Insurance Companies ]
MetLife auto insurance rates
MetLife Insurance strives to provide quality auto insurance at an affordable rate. Its customer service is available 24/7 to answer questions and its online and mobile tools give you convenient access to your policy wherever you go.
You won’t know how much your auto insurance is going to cost you until you get a quote. Insurance premiums are personalized for you, taking factors like your age, driving record, vehicle and address into account. While all insurers look at the same information, every company weighs it slightly differently, which is why you end up with such variance in quote prices.
You should compare quotes from several companies before making a purchase, but don’t choose a company based on price alone. Make sure you go with a company that’s financially stable and is known for efficient claims handling. This is worth paying a little extra because it’ll save you a lot of stress when you need to file a claim.
MetLife goes beyond the basic auto insurance coverages to offer extras, like custom sound system and gap coverage, that are hard to find elsewhere. It also offers new car replacement for vehicles less than a year old and glass repairs without a deductible. If you get sued as a result of an auto accident, MetLife will even pay your legal fees.
[ Read: Best Cheap Car Insurance Companies ]
MetLife’s auto insurance coverage
- Gap coverage: This coverage pays the balance of your lease or loan if your vehicle is totaled in an accident. Most insurers only pay the actual value of your car, which may not be enough to cover what you owe. If you have a lease or loan on your vehicle, you may want to consider adding gap coverage to your policy.
- Coverage for rideshare drivers: MetLife offers auto insurance to Lyft and Uber drivers, filling in the missing gaps left by traditional auto insurance to ensure these drivers are protected while working.
- Legal defense coverage: If you’re sued in connection with a car accident, MetLife will pay for your legal defense and reimburse you up to $200 per day for lost wages.
- Custom sound system coverage: If you have a custom sound system installed in your vehicle, you can purchase additional coverage to protect this. Most insurers we looked at in our MetLife car insurance reviews don’t offer this option, so if it’s something you’re interested in, MetLife is worth a closer look.
- Protection against identity theft: MetLife is one of few auto insurers to offer optional identity theft protection coverage. This pays for lost wages, legal fees and other expenses associated with restoring a stolen identity.
- Major parts replacement: MetLife will replace major vehicle parts — such as tires, batteries and brakes — with new ones, regardless of their current condition. Most companies only pay the actual value, which after factoring in depreciation may not cover the total cost of a new part. With MetLife, you won’t have this problem.
- New car replacement: If your car is less than a year old and has less than 15,000 miles, you qualify for new car replacement. If your vehicle is totaled, MetLife will pay to get it replaced without factoring in depreciation.
- No deductible on glass repairs: If a rock flies up and chips your windshield, you can get it fixed without paying a deductible. This coverage comes standard with its auto insurance policies.
- Help if your car breaks down: MetLife offers roadside assistance and towing and labor coverage as optional add-ons to assist you if your car breaks down. And if your vehicle is going to be in the shop for a while, MetLife can also help you cover the cost of renting a vehicle in the meantime.
MetLife auto insurance discounts
Compared to most auto insurers, MetLife insurance doesn’t offer many ways to save. There are a few basic discounts, like multi-policy and claim-free discounts, but it’s missing other common options, like anti-theft devices and automatic payment discounts. Here are some discounts MetLife does offer.
Savings for good drivers
Every year you don’t have an accident, MetLife will lower your collision and comprehensive deductible by $50, up to a maximum benefit of $250. This is half of the savings that most companies with vanishing deductible offer. However, the majority of insurers don’t provide this benefit to begin with, so it’s still something to be happy about.
MetLife offers excellent rates to members of its partner associations, including companies that offer MetLife insurance as an employee benefit.
MetLife offers bundles when you have more than one vehicle to insure, as well as when you stick with it for other coverage (such as home insurance, life insurance, renters insurance or health insurance).
Good student discounts
MetLife provides discounts to students who maintain a B average or higher. To qualify for this discount all you need to do is just send in a copy of your grades.
Group insurance discounts
You can get an average of 10 percent off or more if you own a business with business-owned vehicles.
[Read: Low Income Car Insurance]
How to submit an auto insurance claim with MetLife
You can call 1-800-854-6011 year-round, day or night, and an agent will walk you through your claim process.
MetLife auto insurance online and mobile app
MetLife offers three mobile apps for Android and iOS devices that allow you to view your policy documents and pay your bill. If that’s not enough, a customer service agent is always just a click away.
- MetLife App: The flagship app from MetLife allows you to manage every aspect of your MetLife policy all in one place. Users can upload information for auto claims, access information related to their dental plans and find a vision provider near them.
- MyJourney: MetLife’s MyJourney program helps you drive more safely while providing you savings in the process. Upon signing up, you receive a one-time enrollment discount of up to 10%, and after renewing, can receive an adjusted discount of up to 30% based on your safe driving score. This score is calculated by the app, which runs in the background on your phone and highlights areas where your driving habits can improve to help make you a safer driver. The app is currently available in Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota, New Jersey, Utah and Wisconsin.
- MetLife Infinity App: MetLife Infinity is a powerful app to help you capture and securely store photos, videos, audio and important documents in one place. The app allows you to upload photos and videos and share them with family and friends at key milestones now or at any time in the future. The app is also handy for digital cloud-based storage of important documents such as birth certificates, passports and everything in between.
MetLife auto and home, health and life
MetLife covers virtually all of your insurance needs, including auto, home, health, life and personal liability.
- MetLife home insurance: MetLife’s home insurance has guaranteed replacement cost coverage, impressive financial strength, basic coverage, identity theft coverage and scheduled personal property insurance. It also offers a few discounts such as home safety features, bundling and group discounts.
- MetLife renters insurance: Renters insurance doesn’t cover the building you live in but your possessions. Electronics, jewelry, significant collections, furniture and other prized collections are covered and customized to your needs. In case of a fire, vandalism or other disasters, it can be an incredible help. MetLife offers some excellent add-ons.
- MetLife health insurance: MetLife offers High High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP) best suited for those in good health with no dependents. There is also the Preferred Provider Organization Plans (PPO), which is best for those with existing health conditions or dependents. Much like any other policy with this company, it can customize it to your needs.
- MetLife life insurance: MetLife offers life insurance coverage through workplaces, so you’ll find them through your employer. It offers term life insurance and permanent life insurance. It even has a feature called MetLife Advantages, which offers workplaces benefits that include grief counseling, travel assistance and will preparation, to name a few.
MetLife in the news
- A former senior vice president of MetLife was sued for gender discrimination. According to Reuters, Mona Moazzaz, the ex-chief administration officer, filed a federal lawsuit in May of 2019 offering ample evidence of the alleged exclusionary, often prejudiced corporate nature of MetLife.
- MarketWatch reported in August of 2020 that MetLife’s profits fell again in the second quarter. Wall Street expected a better report on earnings.
- Business Wire announced on August 20, 2020, that MetLife is partnering with Barnum Financial, a wealth management company. The partnership will help them provide financial education to workplaces all over the United States.
We welcome your feedback on this article and would love to hear about your experience with the car insurance companies we recommend. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with comments or questions.